The foundation of the pyramid represents Philosophy. Its sole principle is to base your management decisions on long-term philosophy. This ties back to the discussion that we had earlier on Lean being part of the corporate culture.
The second level is Processes, where we can eliminate waste and increase value. This involves:
- Creating continuous flow.
- Using pull production systems, where we make only as much product as is demanded by the customer.
- Leveling out work so that resources are not overwhelmed or idle.
- Encouraging members of the organization to get it right the first time and to stop and fix problems.
- Standardizing and documenting work.
- Using visual tools, like lights and signage.
- Use reliable technology.